Sunday, November 25, 2007

I got an award... I got an award!!!!

First off, thank you to SwenglishExpat for the "Roar" award. I really don’t understand why he chose me, because I haven’t been very active in blogging lately (both posting and visiting other blogs), and I think there are much better blogs than mine out there. Nevertheless, I’m very honoured to receive it and should encourage me to post more often/regularly.

Here are the details: Those people I've given this award to are encouraged to post it on their own blogs; list three things they believe are necessary for good, powerful writing; and then pass the award on to the five blogs they want to honour, who in turn pass it on to five others, etc., etc. Let's send a roar through the blogsphere! The image at the top right can be copied and pasted onto other blogs. Also, a small size of the award for sidebars can be found over at the writing circle site.

I think that’s pretty cool, don’t you? Okay. So let’s start.

Originally, I put it up so that my family and friends, who are pretty much strewn all over Europe and Canada, could follow the daily ongoing of our lives. My blog is about our life in Switzerland, friends, travel and a little bit of bitching every now and then. I do it for fun. That’s all. Like many other blogger buddies, there are no literary ambitions behind this blog. My original thought is still there, but I'm happy to say that I have made many friends through blogging.

However, I do believe that:


  1. A catchy title is always a good start to attract the reader.


  2. I tend to do posts that are much too long (I think I do), and when I’m in a bit of a rush, I really value short and concise posts. Less is sometimes more. (note to self: remember that line).


  3. The contents should – if possible – not be too offensive. Being critical about things happening around us is all right and sometimes a must, but at times, I just think it gets too close to the edge of offensiveness and rudeness. This doesn’t only happen in the posts themselves, but also in the comments, which often results in comments being blocked until approval of the blog owner.

Now to my awards (this is not going to be easy):

The Big Finn (alias TBF)
TBF got me started with blogging, so he gets special thanks for that, too. Yes, it's all HIS fault! ;)


He - and once in a while, Mrs. TBF - write about the daily life as an expat in Switzerland, friends, family and travel. He’s “da” (Did I mention that he grew up in Chicago?) houseman and never gets bored. You'll love it!



ExpatTraveler
ET loves travelling, Switzerland and swimming. Not only that, she’s an excellent photographer. Originally from California, she lived in Switzerland and France for a few years and is now in Canada with her husband.

Shelli’s sentiments
That says it all, doesn’t it? Shelli is a loving mother of three children and grandmother of little Belle, and a wonderful person with a great personality. She’s a talented, witty writer and an avid blogger AND she's my friend :) I *heart* her. Go pay a visit.

Ginnie
Ginnie is pure soul and pure gold. She is a loving Mom and Grand Ma, retiree and a very close friend of mine. Not to mention that she's a fantastic photographer. Ginnie travels regularly between Atlanta and Amsterdam with Donica. She loves nothing more than to capture the moments on camera. Curious? Go see! She's incredible.

Kill the goat
Jay is a not only a fabulous writer, she’s also a lovely person AND she’s Canadian. She will make you look for tissues just as much as she can get you to roll on the floor laughing.

So there. It was a difficult choice to choose only five, but you can find my blogroll on my sidebar. It’s there for a reason, you know. ;)

10 comments:

Shelli said...

I'm not worthy! lol But thank you! I will try to honor it soon on my blog.

CanadianSwiss said...

Yes, you are! :)

Jay said...

You are too, CS. Whichever smartypants gave you the award knew what they were doing. I love reading about your adventures and it's always a pleasure to visit here.

p.s. If I had had any inkling that people would actually read my blog, I might have thought more about my weird title!

CanadianSwiss said...

Jay: LOL! Now that I read my title, I don't really find it catchy. Must have been the excitement ;) Thanks!

swenglishexpat said...

You see, it's not only I who think you are worthy! And Jay calls me "smartypants"; is that a compliment? ;-)

It's also interesting to read the introductions to the five recipients of your awards. The net is spreading! Keep writing...

Ginnie Hart said...

Well, my friend, you are one of my most enjoyable blogs to read, ever, because you're real. Just YOU! I always read every word, no matter how long, so it MUST be you. Thank you for honoring me with your kind words. You've just made my day, which was already very nice since we just arrived back in Amsterdam!

Unknown said...

Oh well thank you! I visit daily to wait for a post then bam, I miss it!

And I'd agree that Ginnie and TBF totally earned this one!

Shelli said...

It will post at midnight, my dear. (Uh, my time that is. I don't know what time it will be in your time zone.)

CanadianSwiss said...

Swenglish: Of course, it was a comlipment :)

Ginnie: You're most welcome, my friend :) And thank you for the kind words.

ET: You all earned it... and many more!

Shelli: 7am, I think... which is right about now :)

Shammickite said...

Hi CdnSws, I don't think your posts are too long at all, I always enjoy waht you write about... and of course, I have to support you cos you're Canadian!! Congratulations of your award, and all your award winners deserve their awards, great stuff, blogging is such a neat way to see the world and get to know the people in it.
Yes, we are back from our lovely month in Florida, thank you for sticking with my blog when I didn't have internet access to check up on everyone's blogs. We had a lovely time, I really needed that holiday. But I have come home to cold Canadian snow, and I'd like to scoot off back to the beach and the palm trees RIGHT NOW!
More Florida pictures to be posted in the next few days.