Saturday, March 10, 2007

Is this fun, or what?!

Well, it’s been quite a week. On Monday, I got a call from the job agency saying I was invited for an interview on the following day. Tuesday, I have the interview and am hired. I come home after the interview and doing the groceries, and call my agent to tell her that I apparently have the job. She tells me that “she missed a call from the HR dept. of the company, tried to call back, but the line was busy". I hang up and get a call from the company telling me that they were not yet able to reach the agent. In the meantime, agent tries to call the company again, but I am talking to her, so the line is busy. Still following me??

Anyway, I started on Wednesday morning and it all worked out. I get there and don’t yet have access to the computer. Hmmpf! Ok, but you have to give them some time, right? But how much time? I call up the IT guys on Thursday and they say they’re working on it. On Friday, I call again and hear (for the first time) that it takes 5 working days to set it up. Ok. It’s a really big company (locally, about 7’500 employees), but they apparently told my supervisor that they’d get it done in less time. Maybe there was a misunderstanding somewhere? Whatever.

Don’t get me wrong, my boss is really good and I love working for her. She’s a tough cookie, but absolutely fair, kind, a good motivator and very understanding. The only thing that really bothers me is that I feel like a race horse that’s being kept behind the starting gate. You know, I need to run, but the stupid gate is not opening, dammit! I have tasks that I can only do with the computer and via the system. It drives me nuts, because I still have no access, and I feel bad because I’m a) not doing (read: can’t do) what I’m supposed to and b) paid to do. Not to mention that my predecessor is on sick leave and we can’t tell how long. I have no one to “show me the ropes”, but that’s okay, it’s not the first time.

Just do the best you can with what you have. You know what? With all that shit happening, I still love it. I knew this would be a challenging job and I’m ready for it. I can't wait to have everything working.

I must love wild rollercoaster rides (YES!) or be a masochist (or both). Same thing? Maybe. What do you think? Am I sick, or what?

Umm. Do I really want to hear your answers? Yeah... Go ahead.

13 comments:

P. said...

CS I don't think you're masochistic in the least. I think your frustration is a result of your good work ethic and high standards. I'd go nuts too if I was hired to do a job, but wasn't given the tools or help to accomplish said job!

Tell Dale p. says hi.

Oh and I'm pea with the habs logo :P They wouldn't allow single character names (minimun 3) so I chose pea. ET said I could have spelt it pee, lol. I'm too nice maybe?

CanadianSwiss said...

P. (pea/pee): LOL! Must have to do with your good work ethics and high work standards, too.

You really chose Pea?? My friend, from now on, I advise you to use "pee ess" if you want to use a post scriptum, just to get used to it ;)

Dale the Cat said...

Purrrrr. Thanks P! Une bonne gratouille! Plus à gauche, à GAUCHE! Mmmmmmm!

Ginnie Hart said...

What you described is TOTALLY Mercury Retrograde, CS, at the tailend of this stint. So going into this next week, you should start to see relief and get those horses running full tilt! Contracts signed durting MR can sometimes have bugs that need to be worked out. Hopefully this will NOT be the case for you. I wish you nothing but the best and know you will give them MORE than their money's worth! I love your work ethic!

Unknown said...

Sounds sort of like the frustration I have with immigration and dealing with my slow computer...

Hope things happen for you on monday!

Clo said...

Hello CS! I'm doing a little visit here and read a little... usually, when I come to a blog with a lot of text in english, it's so difficult that I don't go through all of it... but maybe my english as improve cause I red a lot here.

Hope your mom is better. I have a small backache right now and reading this, I wont complain too much, cause it will probably be ok tomorrow... tell your mom some blogger are sending her good vibes!!! :O)

And I loved the post about your purse! I should do that someday on my blog, it would be funny... hmmm, not sure... :O)

And I don't think you are masochist, though I can't tell cause I've been my own boss for many years now... though I may be masochist myself to have to live with such a bad boss like myself...
:O)

Shammickite said...

I know the feeling of frustration with the IT department. It happens in the company I work for too. Make a request, and 3 days later they might think about moving on it....

CanadianSwiss said...

Ginnie: I really hope that it will end soon.

ET: If MR really is backing up, we'll all be seeing improvement soon.

Clo: Thank you for the visit and for your kind words. I'll let my mom know. And yes, the handbag meme was quite fun. Feel free to use it :)

LOL. At least you don't have to worry about not having the same opinions as your boss ;)

Ex-Shammi: From what I heard, it's the upload of the company database that takes so much time. *sigh*

Shelli said...

You must be. I would have an ulcer by now.

Good job on Fab's show the other night. I was excited to hear you.

Greg said...

Wow, 5 days to set up your computer? I worked for in IT for one of the biggest Aerospace companies in the US (150,000+ employees) and we generally had computers set up the day folks came in the office. Access was set up on demand. For more specialized access, okay five days might be reasonable. Then again, the hiring process took months. ;-)

Jul said...

Best of luck with the new position! And your attitude sounds perfectly healthy to me. :)

CanadianSwiss said...

Shelli: I might have been born with an ulcer. LOL! Thanks, it was fun to be on Fab's show :)

Greg: I can't tell (yet) if the access is really that specialized, but they're asking for another day :(

Jul: Thanks! It must be my North American background ;)

The Big Bear said...

If I would be hired as a taxi driver and then nobody gives me the car key for my taxi, I would go nuts, too. Don't question your attitude, make your opinion about the IT department instead!